In this season, Patrick has, in great detail, analyzed each aspect of the building industry – design, construction, operation, maintenance, and collaboration – discussing the challenges that we face, illuminating how those challenges arose, and ultimately outlining how adoption and investment in technology can help us overcome them.
Patrick has also shared the story of buildingSMART International, from its start as a private consortium in 1994 – supported by Autodesk – to becoming an independent full-fledged international organization.
In this episode, Patrick pulls together everything we’ve learned and highlights how design can take center stage!
This episode also features conversations with several individuals developing software to improve the design process:
- Kyle Bernhardt, Chief Revenue Officer at TestFit, a Real Estate Feasibility software with real-time insights to design, constructability, and cost for developers, architects, and general contractors.
- Paul O’Carroll, CEO and Founder of Arcol, a company that is developing a web-based BIM tool intended to simplify the use of BIM technology and collaboration through the design process.
- Patrick Chopson, Chief Product Officer and Co-Founder of Cove.Tool, a tech firm that aims to fight climate change by using automation to help architects, engineers, contractors and developers leverage data-driven design.
Patrick shares his lessons for listeners to take away from this episode:
- BIM software begins to manage the complexity of coordination,
- BIM software becomes the architect’s assistant, providing feedback during design,
- The contractor supports the architect during design,
- Design becomes the central to the work of the architect again–as it should be,
- Design done well reestablishes the architect to an honorable place in society.
Thank you to our Sponsors:
Monograph is the cloud-based practice operations solution built for architects by architects. It is easy to use, beautifully designed, and helped firms streamline operations by empowering them to see project-based and firm-wide financial health in a single tool. Plan your projects with schedules, budgets, roles, and team members. Track a project’s financial health with their unique MoneyGantt which takes timesheet data and makes it simple to see whether you are on track or not. Use firm-wide revenue forecasts to make strategic decisions. With Monograph, you never have to make a decision in the dark again. Visit Monograph now.
buildingSMART is the worldwide industry body driving the digital transformation of the built asset industry. buildingSMART is committed to delivering improvement by the creation and adoption of open, international standards and solutions for infrastructure and buildings. buildingSMART is the community for visionaries working to transform the design, construction, operation and maintenance of built assets. buildingSMART is an open, neutral and international not-for-profit organization. For additional information visit buildingsmart.org
If you enjoy this show and want more content like this, visit gablmedia.com