Richard Petrie 1959-2022 | CEO, buildingSMART International
Richard’s substantial career focused on performance improvement challenges for clients or contractors involved in the procurement and operation of high value physical assets.
Richard’s industry sector experience was grounded in main stream engineering & construction contracting and as a construction client. He had broad experience across a range of capital intensive sectors including; oil & gas equipment and services, marine charter services and ship construction, airport infrastructure, building services, civil engineering and most recently the provision of independent assurance and expert advice to companies operating high-risk, capital intensive assets.
He was an international businessman who respected and enjoyed working across cultures. Richard worked in Algeria, China, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Norway, Singapore, UK, Ukraine and USA.
Richard was a Chartered Engineer and had an MBA from INSEAD, France.
Chief Operating Officer, Lloyds Register
Chief Executive roles in Marine and Oil Service companies
Technical Director, BAA plc
He is remembered by his family – his wife, Jane, and their three children, Michael, Charlotte, and Madelaine – friends, and colleagues for his honesty, generosity, and love of life. His laugh was unique and will be missed by all.
Narration by Aidan Mercer, Marketing Director buildingSMART International
Additional Interviews (In order of appearance):
- Ian Howell, Interim CEO, principle consultant at Built Environment Strategies, and US Representative for buildingSMART International
- Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA, LEED® AP Chairman, buildingSMART International
- Rasso Steinmann, Chairman buildingSMART Germany
- Bjørn Stangeland, Head of Strategic Partnerships, Planning & Design Division at Nemetschek Group
- Alain Maury, Senior Consultant for buildingSMART, France
- Kazumi Yajima, Building Management Division, General Manager and BIM Director at Kajima Corporation, Director and Vice President at Global BIM Inc., Board member at buildingSMART and International Council Vice Chair of buildingSMART Japan
- Richard Kelly, Operations Director, buildingSMART International